Sunday, January 4, 2009

Day 4: Use a charitable search engine

Helping your favorite organization is as easy as doing a web search. Just go to www.goodsearch.com. There you can pick from thousands of organizations or even add your personal favorite. The site is powered by Yahoo. Fifty percent of the revenue generated from advertisers is shared with the charity, school or nonprofit organization of your choice.

Taking it a step further, you can download the search engine to your Internet Explorer, Firefox or Mac toolbar.

My contribution: I downloaded the toolbar software. It takes up minimal space at the top of the browser. There's a tab for your search entry, a My Charity tab, where it saves the organization I chose (St. Bernard Project), followed by the clear selection option, highlight option and the popup blocker at the end. I also set it as my home page on my office computer.